I found
the Yiu et al, paper to be much easier to read, despite its length,
than the Ramirez et al. paper. The Yiu paper was clear in how it moved from
experiment to experiment and I wound up being very convinced of their findings.
I certainly feel that they accomplished what they set out to do in the paper
and really made a great contribution to the field of neuroscience with their
findings. One drawback to the paper I could articulate is that some of the
studies they did seemed superfluous. For instance, adding in optogenetics was a
bit unnecessary in my opinion. Though it does show fantastic temporal control
in inducing excitability, temporal control wasn’t really a part of their
original hypothesis. And though the experiment with optogenetics did serve to
further prove their hypothesis that excitation is what is causing neurons to be
preferentially recruited to a memory trace, it seemed as though it was just one
more replication of the same experiments they did earlier in the paper, and it
was a bit repetitive.
The
Ramirez et al. paper was incredibly dense in my opinion. Though it was much
shorter, it was due to a notable lack of explanation in the text, which the Yiu
et al. paper included. This is the norm in the field at times, so it is
difficult to fault them for this, but I preferred the extra length in the Yiu
et al. paper to the lack of in-depth understanding I got from the Ramirez et
al. paper. In addition, this study was incredibly interesting, but during
reading I lost a lot of interest due to the feeling that I was slogging through
figures. They were labeled oddly and I have trouble determining the purpose of
the dashed lines in some of the figures. Upon first reading it, I also felt
that some of the behavioral studies were superfluous and got the feeling that
there was a lot of replication with subtle nuanced differences. All in all,
this paper was incredibly impactful and well executed, however I believe it
would have had a much more profound impact on a larger audience if it was not
quite so concise.
No comments:
Post a Comment