The papers read for this week, both
Moore et al and Kellendonk et al were trying to model schizophrenia in mice and
rats, in order to understand what parts of the brain were affected. Moore et al modeled their mice by administering
MAM to prenatal animals while Kellendok et al used a D2 receptor overexpression
for their schizophrenic animal model. In addition to viewing the brain directly and
observing factors such as density and neuronal counts, they used behavioral
measures as to rule out other factors in addition to trying to support their
findings.
Schizophrenia is a mental disorder
characterized at many times by hallucinations and a person’s false beliefs therefore
a huge part of diagnosis is based on the person’s reported experiences. Consequently it was very hard for me to be
completely objective or convinced by their findings, since I believe it is very
hard to try to replicate what would be self reports in humans to animals that
obviously can not express their feelings.
I know working with monkeys is harder, but I believe they would be a
better fit for studying these measures since maybe they could falsely
experience viewing letters or cues and thus express this in some test.
I really liked that both included
an introduction to what they were doing and how they were doing it, but I would
have rather enjoyed for them to have a little less intro in order to dive into
the study and explain what they were doing, what they found and its relevance
as the paper went.
I really liked the fact that Moore
included the administration of MAM on E15 in addition to the E17, being able to
support their hypothesis while contradicting previous research when showing
that prenatal exposure of MAM does lead to similar behavioral and
neuroanatomical characteristics of schizophrenia. Even though, I like this paper over the
Kellendrok et al paper it was harder for me to understand what they were
doing. Again, the figures were not
aligned with the text. Also, it was
confusing to understand all of the different parts of the brain mentioned and
keeping track of these as to better understand what should have had an effect
or not. Nonetheless, it was very
convincing to have so many different measures of brain slices and its effects
when administered the MAM.
One thing that really confused me
was when Kellendock et al mention that “the number of D2 receptor transgenic
mice reaching criteria after 28 days of training was significantly reduced
compared to controls, which indicates that normalizing D2 receptor levels in
chronically overexpressing adults may result in an even more severe phenotype”
(Kellendock et al). This really threw me
off since I don’t understand if they are saying that if animals have this overexpression
and they are treated then technically their symptoms just worsen.
Depressive and anxiety is very
common in patients with schizophrenia, thus I don’t quite understand why the
“schizophrenic” transgenic mice in the ___ experiment did not experience and
anxiety like behavior when being put in the open maze or the open arms
test. I would expect for these to have a
different experience when compared to the control. Moreover, I would also love
to see if they could do a longitudinal experiment with “schizophrenic” like
animal models as to observe if there are any suicidal rates as sometimes can be
seen in animals and are definitely seen in schizophrenic patients. Even though I am not an expert on tests and
measures for these kinds of experiment, I understand both papers could use more
modern tests to improve their research.
No comments:
Post a Comment