These articles
discussed two potential animal models for schizophrenia, because it is
extremely difficult to observe symptoms in animals. Moore et. al (2006) used
methylazoxymethanol acetate exposure to animals in embryonic day 17, while
Kellendonk et. al (2006) believed that D2 receptor overexpression could produce
the cognitive symptoms of schizophrenia. I found both papers fairly convincing,
though they each had their own limitations and have likely been studied further
in the decade since they’ve been published.
My main criticism of
Kellendonk et. al (2006) is that they largely focused only on dopamine in the
striatum and prefrontal cortex. Given both papers, I was not convinced that
dopamine receptor expression could be considered the sole mechanism to provide
a proper model of schizophrenia. I think, based on what was in the paper and
what I’ve learned in other classes, that this method can only be a part of
developing an animal model of schizophrenia, especially because only some
symptoms are affected by current antipsychotics and thus are not the only
factor in play.
I enjoyed the Moore
et. al (2006) paper, in particular the thoroughness of the tests and the range
of regions that were observed. I think the fact that so many regions of the
brain were significantly affected by the MAM E17 treatment made this paper much
more convincing. The cortical thickness/density aspects of the paper were
fairly straightforward and seemed conclusive, and the spontaneous membrane
activity figure showed that activity was altered when rats were exposed to MAM
E17.
Both papers were
interesting and convincing, as at least part of the way to develop a
schizophrenic animal model. However, I think that if the studies were to be
repeated today, more tests could be done which are more advanced than the
technology that was available at the time and might provide more conclusive
evidence. Either way, I thought both papers were interesting and have likely
been important to improving the animal model for a very complex disease.
No comments:
Post a Comment