This week’s paper by Holly et al (2012) was one of my favorite
to read yet. I found it to be very clear, concise, and well written. It had a
small amount of explanation of results, enough to ensure readers from all walks
of the neuroscience community would understand, but not so much that it became
bogged down. In addition, I thought the study was designed very well and didn't
take on too many variables (a rare breed due to current standards of
literature). Because of this, it was very impactful and easy to determine the
significance. The most impactful figure in this paper, in my opinion, was
Figure 2. I found it extremely interesting that the differences between males
and females were so exaggerated, and then that there was significant
differences between stages of estrus. Though the figure is a little dense due
to the many symbols used for significance between different groups, once it is
interpreted it presents amazing data concerning estrogen and stress related to behavioral
effects of cocaine abuse. The part of this figure I found the most interesting
was that, according to the results section, the baseline (saline) level of
locomotion in stressed females in estrus was significantly higher than their non-estrus counterparts.
I’m not sure how one would go about it, but that elevation in baseline
locomotion might need to be mentioned when comparing non-saline groups. In
Figure 4, I was really excited to read that the control groups they used were
the baseline levels of dopamine in the same individuals with no drug in their
system. However, I did hope to see estrus stage interactions if they existed. I
saw that in Figure 5 there was no difference and therefore the data was
collapsed, but I read no such explanation for Figure 4, and am wondering why it
was not examined.
No comments:
Post a Comment