The papers read for this week, both
Burrows et al and Ayhan et al studied schizophrenia models. Both papers were very clear in their manner
of presenting background information and going through their specific experimentation
and results.
Ayhan et al wanted to study the
effects of mutants DISC1 on neurodevelopment at different times since the
effects of it prenatally hadn’t been studied previously. Expressing mutant hDISC1 was achieved by
regulating the consumption of DOX containing food. They had 4 different groups, one without
mutant DISC1, prenatal, postnatal and the prenatal+postnatal. Their main
conclusion was that mutant hDISC1 results in very different effects
quantitatively and qualitatively depending on when in their life it was
expressed.
This is the first paper I think I
have read where the groups consist of both female and male mice and in fact
these showed differing results. For example, post female mice spent
significantly more time immobile in the behavioral tests while the male didn’t
show any effects. I am not really sure
why this is but I might think it has to do with hormonal changes since it is
common for females to experiences depressive like behavior during hormonal
imbalances. However, I can’t make sense
of the fact that MK801 injections resulted in total locomotor activity in the
male of pre-post but no difference was observed in the female groups. Ayhan et
al weren’t able to truly explain these gender specific results with all of the
imaging and specific brain details they gathered. I am really interested in knowing more about
this. I have seen that other studies show that women have later onset of
schizophrenia and believe this is due to estrogen. Therefore, I think it would be interesting to
continue this study but incorporating the alterations of hormones and maybe
even injecting estrogen to the male mice and see how these behavioral test
results are affected.
Burrows et
al focused on the gene-environment interactions and its role on schizophrenia.
This paper was recently published, and is following previous research they
published in 2011. The experiment
wanted to study the effects of Environmentally Enrichment on behavioral
endophenotypes in regard to schizophrenic mice lacking mGlu5. Moreover, the role of NMDAR wasn’t clear
either. I really enjoy the studies combining genes and environment since I am
true believer of the fact that the environment has effects on the genetic
issues. I was very impressed with the
therapeutic effects the environmentally enriched household had on mice. This has been shown to be reduced by drugs
such as clozapine which increase NMDAR binding.
Therefore, this has a lot of human applications since one can truly find
similar therapeutic alterations that might be accompanied by small drugs dosage
in order to alleviate the psychotic behavior of schizophrenic patients. I was
impressed by the fact that EE was able to reduce locomotor activity in WT mice,
it seems to me that it has some sort of like meditation effects. I am very interested in understanding why EE
was able to relieve the long term memory loss but no the short term. One of their most important findings was the fact that NMDAR can be modulated by mGLU5 and from here I think they have a very strong base upon which to keep expanding their studies. I really liked both papers a lot, however I think I liked this one more just because it included the environment interventions as therapeutic effects.
No comments:
Post a Comment