The paper by Ayahn et al. (2011)
in my opinion was a bit messily done. I found some flaws in the design of the
paper that were repellant such as missing punctuation, lack of definition of
terms, and lack of adequate description of figures. Though these things seem
minor, in Figure 6 they say they’re evaluating “cortex,” but not which cortex
they are analyzing. In addition, I thought it odd that they explained DISC1 in
so much depth throughout the paper, then for Figure 6, they introduced two
completely novel genes (LIS1 and NDEL1) with not even the slightest bit of
explanation of their pertinence to their hypothesis. Despite these
distractions, the paper was sound in experimental design. They uncovered a lot
of interactions between DISC1 expression and timing and presented them as
clearly as possible in Table 1 (which I very much appreciated). I think the
most appropriate next steps in this research would be to expand the study to
adolescents and adults to really outline a timeline for changes due to DISC1 well. I thought the paper by Burrows et al. (2012) was short, but
not so sweet. I liked this paper to a point, but it did not grab my attention
and make me excited about the research as I normally am while reading
scientific research. What they examined was interesting, but from the beginning
I was thinking “So what?” I do think, despite my feelings, that it has definite
applications in the field of schizophrenia research. It adds another piece to
the pool of evidence surrounding glutamate’s role in the disorder, and is a
great springboard for other research. Something that I found odd was that in
Figure 2b, they did not express significance (or lack thereof) between KOEE and
either of the wild type environments, which I would have found to be the most
interesting part of the research. It would have shown the effect of EE on a
genetically based problem, which is likely the most translatable principle of
the study.
No comments:
Post a Comment