In both of these papers, researchers attempt to fathom the
pathophysiology of depression. Santarelli et al. attributes neurogenesis as the
key mechanism to the behavioral effects of antidepressants such as Fluoxetine
using knock out mice and irridation to correlate the two phenomenon. Six years
later, Bessa argues that while antidepressants can be attributed to increasing
neurogenesis, it is structural changes in the hippocampus, such as synaptic
plasticity and neuronal connectivity, which accounts for antidepressant drug
action. Bessa does this by this time using MAM to block neurogenesis, and
structural analysis and qPRC to measure synaptic plasticity and spine changes.
Both research projects use BrdU as a marker + NeuN or GFAP to measure the
presence of neurogenesis.
While I see
the reasoning behind both of these methods, I think that to properly disprove
Santarelli, Bessa should have set up the procedure and used the same behavioral
assays to match Santarelli’s, while changing one variable (the presence or
absence of neurogenesis). Santarelli measured the behaviors of depression,
focusing on the Novelty Supressed Feeding Test that measures anxiety, and then
later uses the Chronic Unpredictable Stress paradigm when applying irridation.
Bessa measures anxiety and stress, but also applies the sucrose preference test
and forced swimming test to measure anhedonia and learned helplessness.
Although I am not nearly as practiced as these researchers with the subject of
depression, I believe that anxiety and stress may run slightly different
pathways than anhedonia and learned helplessness, as the phenotypic behaviors
in a person appear very different. If this is indeed true, it would be hard to disprove
that neurogenesis is involved with stress using the sucrose preference test. At
the end of Bessa’s article, it is noted that neurogenesis is needed for
antidepressant relief of anxiety, which supports Santarelli’s research.
I agree
with Bessa’s logic that neurogenesis and antidepressant action may be an
“epiphenomenon”, but I would like to see further research on the synaptic
plasticity and neuronal connectivity theory, perhaps removing it as they did
neurogenesis with MAM, to prove that antidepressant behavioral outcomes are
dependent on this synaptic remodeling.
No comments:
Post a Comment